Then when I saw it has almost 500 five-star ratings, I knew I had to try it!
The method is kinda kooky.
The cooking temp is strange.
The ingredients are super-simple.
This cake is impossibly moist.
And.. it is one of the BESTEST cakes I've ever made!
Follow the directions, even though they make ya say. "huh?"
You'll be glad you did!
Oh! and it's best the next day!
So, make it early!
Even those who hate banana bread will love this simple cake!
It's NOT the same thing!
Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 1/2 cups bananas, mashed, ripe
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/8 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups icing (or powdered) sugar
- chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 275°.
- Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan.
- In a small bowl, mix mashed banana with the lemon juice; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter and 2 1/8 cups sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in 2 tsp vanilla.
- Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk.
- Stir in banana mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake. in preheated 275 F. degree oven.
- Check it in about one hour, Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. (it took my bunt 1 hour and 15 min)
- Remove from oven and place directly into the freezer for 45 minutes. This will make the cake very moist.
- For the frosting, cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Add icing sugar and beat on low speed until combined, then on high speed until frosting is smooth.
- Spread on cooled cake.
- Sprinkle chopped walnuts over top of the frosting, if desired.
It's wonderful served chilled or room temperature!