This is a really simple recipe. Easy, but a little time consuming. Delicious!
Red Velvet Truffles
- ⅓ cup plus 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon white vinegar
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 12 oz. almond bark (or white chocolate), for coating
- In a cupcake tin, place 4 cupcake liners on the outside edge.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder.
- In another bowl, beat together the canola oil, sugar, buttermilk, egg white, red dye, vinegar, and vanilla using an electric mixer.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing all the while. Divide the batter between the four cupcake liners and bake at 350° for 20-22 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- When cool, crumble the cupcakes into crumbs. In a bowl, mix the softened cream cheese and powdered sugar. Add the crumbs and stir very well. Scoop a heaping tablespoon of the mixture into your hands and then roll into balls. Place the balls on a plate and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- To make the coating, chop the almond bark into 1″ chunks and place in a bowl. Heat on medium power in the microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring in between until melted. Dip each ball into the coating quickly, using a fork to turn, then let them dry on a piece of wax paper. Can be made 3 days ahead of time and stored in the fridge.